Scripture of the month

And moreover, I say unto you, that salvation doth not come by the law alone; and were it not for the atonement, which, God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.

Mosiah 13:28

Thought of the Month

"Think of it! when his body was taken from the cross and hastily placed in a borrowed tomb, he, the sinless son of God, had already taken upon him not only the sins and temptations of every human soul who will repent, but all of our sickness and grief and pain of every kind. He suffered these afflictions as we suffer them, according to the flesh. He suffered them all. He did this to perfect his mercy and his ability to lift us above every earthly trial."

Howard W. Hunter
"He is Risen," Ensign, May 1988

Monday, July 13, 2009

the story of "The Fire"

Well, as many of my facebook friends know my van caught fire outside of Malad, Id. on Sunday. This is the story of what happened.
We stopped in Malad to top off our gas and I ran inside to get some snacks and a few of those scratch lotto tickets (I believe this fire is punishment for me gambling). Neil wanted me to drive the rest of the way. So, he went to sleep and I got on the freeway. About 10 minutes later I started to smell smoke and noticed that my airconditioner vents had smoke coming out of them. I screamed and Neil wokeup and told me to slow down and pull over. I had no brakes whatsoever. I was actually standing on my brakes to get my van stopped. I finally got the van stopped and pulled over. Neil jumped out and I popped the hood. I pulled the hood release so hard that I broke it. The kids jumped out of the van and Neil put out the fire. Just for information O.J. works well to put out fires, milk isn't to great at it. Neil did get a mild burn on his hand from grabbing the hood release. The engine is a total mess. The battery is melted, melted alot of the wiring, the oil and transmission dipstick, and alot of parts that I don't know the names of are also melted or damaged in some way. There is some smoke damage inside the van.
We have no clue what caused the fire. We are glad that our family is safe and that none of our belongings are very damaged. The kids were so good while all this was happening. They didn't worry about grabbing any of their things when they jumped out. A very nice couple, that goes to Utah State, pulled over and sat with my children to keep them busy while Neil and I dealt with this mess. I never got their names, but I know that they were angels sent by my Heavenly Father to help us during this.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

How scary! I'm glad everyone was okay.

Julie said...

I am so glad you are all ok. What did you do to get home? That is scary.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're alright! I never knew you had a fire. I think I would for sure freak out!