Hi. If you don’t know me YET, I am Andrew Christiansen. Some of the strange faces in the crowd today are here because I’m going to Toronto Canada for two years to speak Mandarin Chinese. And yes, you heard that right, Chinese in Canada. It was odd for me too, until I realized 32% of Toronto is Chinese. That is 278,390 people to teach. They also have one of the largest Chinatowns in North America. But, anyway, today, I was asked by my wonderful father, who is conducting today, to speak. For those of you that don’t know, the usual plan if there is extra time after all the speakers, the person conducting gives a talk. So, I was planning on coming up here and saying, “Yeah, Im going to Canada. See you in two years.” And then sit down, dropping the rest of the time to talk on my dad. But, then I was threatened that if I do that, I may be drawn and quartered.
So, today I am talking about service. Now, for me, when someone says this person needs this done or this person needs this done, unless that person needs an entire lasagna gone inside the next 24 hours, I usually am not the first to jump up and raise my hand. But, I usually put on a happy face when I am asked and go do it. Usually by the end, I have a few cuts and scrapes, but I end up feeling good.
But, that is physical service. I am talking today about spiritual service. The most common scripture for spiritual service is Mosiah 2:17: And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
For the longest time, whenever I wondered if I was going to go on my mission, my thought process was, “If I go on my mission, I am good. If I don’t, I will be an outcast in society and be disowned by my family.” I mean that is how it usually comes out to be like when you start talking about a mission. I’ve known a couple missionaries that have come out to “make their mama proud!” But, when my sister went to college instead of going on a mission, I realized that this is my choice. And so, I started thinking about it. But, as I thought, I became more and more discouraged. I realized that if I go on a mission, I will be two years behind everyone in schooling, that I would leave my family for two years, I would leave my friends for two years or more because some are moving away for college, and the worst of all, I would miss two Star Wars movies. But, then I realized, instead of going and looking for the reasons not to go, I should look for reasons to go.
Just for fun: Here are some reasons I found on the internet to go on a LDS mission (mainly for the wrong reasons):
1. Travel to new places, see new things, have new experiences, meet new interesting people, improve yourself, etc.
In addition your experiences will help you develop critical life skills that most people take for granted such as cooking, money management, scheduling and planning, social skills, cleanliness in appearance and living conditions, street smarts and self defense, event organizing and other useful responsibilities. May I say that the street smart and self defense has me oh so excited.
2. Free college credits!
If you go to a foreign speaking mission and plan to attend school afterwards your new language skills can help you test out of a whole semester worth of language classes!
3. Missions make a resume shine!
•Leadership Experience – Some who serve missions will be lucky enough to hold the position of district leader, zone leader and/or assistance to the president.
•Counseling and Therapy – Every try to help someone stop smoking or overcome an addiction? If you are a missionary your chances are more than likely. You will also help people around the world to cope with tragedies in their lives as you teach them truths of the gospel such as the eternal family, repentance and forgiveness.
•Multi-lingual Skills – I am SPEAKING CHINESE!!!
•Public Speaking – Get over your stage fright before you serve a mission because you will find yourself constantly at the pulpit. The more you do it, the better you get at it. By the time you come home you will be a pro! Did you know that most people fear public speaking more than death? I guess that just one more way the gospel brings peace to our lives.
4. Chicks dig RMs! Ok guys, Mormon or not, possessing the above characteristics will make you a much more eligible bachelor! Not to mention if you did a lot of biking on your mission you will probably be pretty ripped when you get back.
Mostly, I started finding things that negated the reasons for not going. There are plenty of returned missionaries that are employed and didn’t have any problems with school. I shouldn’t worry about my family. They survived while I was gone for two summers. I’d be able to keep in touch with friends through E-mail and see them after. And Star Wars will always survive.
But then I realized that no matter what I do here for people, whether it would be mowing a yard, making dinner for someone, knitting a blanket, I couldn’t help people as much as I would on a mission. ON A MISSION, I can teach people about the three main questions in life: Why am I here? How did I get here? Where am I going? Making Dinner for someone helps them for one or two nights. Mowing a yard helps for a few weeks. Knitting a blanket helps for maybe a couple decades, depending on how good it is. But, for me, going on a mission is helping someone for eternity. That is a blessing that you can only do with a couple things. Think about it. For everything you do in life, how many can you say is helping someone out for the rest of existence. That is the power spiritual service has for people.
In Preach My Gospel, it states that the purpose of a missionary is “invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.”
I believe that it includes one of the greatest pieces of advice ever for anyone trying to help people come to church. To “Invite others to come unto Christ.” It does not say it is our purpose to have people come unto Christ, to make people come unto Christ, to demand people to come unto Christ. It says we should invite others to come unto Christ. It is as the old proverb goes,“You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.” You can invite others to come unto and accept Christ, but you cannot force them to. That is a decision they have to make for themselves.
Elder Gene R. Cook said in a talk titled Inviting Others to “Come unto Christ”, We are commissioned with a purpose to “visit the house of each member,” (D&C 20:47) to:
· To exhort them “to pray vocally and in secret” (D&C 20:47);
· “To stir them up in remembrance” of God (Alma 4:19); and
· “To turn [them] to the Lord with full purpose of heart” (Mosiah 7:33).
We do not visit the active just to “visit,” or the less active just to get them out to church, although that may be part of what happens. In essence, we visit to help the heads of those homes, male or female, to become the spiritual leaders in their homes, to lead their families to Christ, to pray, to fast, and to read the scriptures together. If that happens in our visits, all else will take care of itself. Remember, not only the teacher but the learner must have the Spirit of the Lord. You, as the teacher, must do all in your power to prepare the hearts of men so the Spirit can teach. May I suggest seven scriptural performances (see Alma 31:10) that, if humbly employed, will immediately invite the Spirit into your heart and the hearts of others.
1. Pray. Pray for the Spirit. Ask those you teach to pray for you and for themselves while you are teaching. Ask for discernment to understand the needs of those you visit.
2. Use the Scriptures. They are the words of the Lord to us, and the Spirit of the Lord will speak through them to all, both young and old.
3. Use music. Using recorded hymns or singing the songs of Zion with or to the Saints in their homes, as prompted, will always bring the Spirit of the Lord.
4. Express love and gratitude to God and man. Express love openly for God and for His children, and the Spirit will be felt profoundly.
5. Share spiritual experiences. Spiritual experiences have great impact upon men’s souls. Share them as prompted by the Spirit.
6. Perform priesthood ordinances. “In the ordinances …, the power of godliness is manifest.” (D&C 84:20.) Bless the Saints. Bless the sick. Bless the homes of the Saints. Encourage others to seek for priesthood blessings.”
But this entire time I have been focused on missionaries. What about all of you? That is why we have member missionaries. Member missionaries are anyone willing to help people come unto Christ. Elder M. Russell Ballard said in a talk entitled The Essential Role of Member Missionary Work, “Remember, brothers and sisters, we’re not marketing a product. We’re not selling anything. We’re not trying to impress anyone with our numbers or our growth. We are members of the restored Church of Jesus Christ, empowered and sent forth by the Lord Himself to find, nourish, and bring safely into His Church those who are seeking to know the truth.
Viewed from that eternal perspective, what we are to do seems so simple and clear, but I know that member missionary work can be challenging and sometimes frightening. Please allow me to suggest three simple things that we can do to assist in this divinely commissioned responsibility.
First, we should exercise our faith and pray individually and as families, asking for help in finding ways to share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Ask the Lord to open the way. President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “It will be a great day when our people not only pray for the missionaries throughout the world, but ask the Lord to help them to assist the missionaries who are laboring in their own ward”.
Second, leaders must lead by example. The Spirit will prompt and guide you in finding those interested in our message. Your personal worthiness will give you the courage and the spiritual power to inspire your members to actively help the missionaries.
Third, member missionary work does not require the development of strategies or gimmicks. It does require faith—real faith and trust in the Lord. It also requires genuine love. The first great commandment is to “love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. … The second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself”.
Professional advancement, increased income, bigger homes, or newer cars and recreational equipment do not bring lasting peace and happiness. Happiness comes from understanding God and knowing that He has a plan for our eternal joy and peace. Happiness comes from knowing and loving the Savior and living our lives in accordance with His teachings. Happiness comes from strong family and Church relationships based on gospel values.
Some members say, “I’m afraid to share the gospel because I might offend someone.” Experience has shown that people are not offended when the sharing is motivated by the spirit of love and concern. How could anyone be offended when we say something like this: “I love the way my church helps me” and then add whatever the Spirit directs. It’s when we appear only to be fulfilling an assignment and we fail to express real interest and love that we offend others. Don’t ever forget, brothers and sisters, that you and I have in our possession the very points of doctrine that will bring people to the Lord. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ has within it the power to bring deep and abiding happiness to the human soul—something that will be valued and cherished for the rest of time and for all eternity. We are not just trying to get people to join our Church; we are sharing with them the fulness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. But as powerful as our message is, it cannot be imposed or forced upon people. It can only be shared—heart to heart, soul to soul, spirit to spirit—by being good neighbors and by caring and showing love. We need to be watchful for one another and reach out to one another. And as we do so, we will radiate the gospel in our own lives, and it will radiate to the people the blessings the gospel has to offer.
Let us follow the admonition of the Prophet Joseph Smith, “After all that has been said, [our] greatest and most important duty is to preach the Gospel.”
I know what he said is true. If you go out with a heart full of love and not a heart wanting to get it over with, you will feel the spirit amplify as you visit and teach.
Before I close, I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me get to this point. My primary teachers that helped teach me at an early age who our savior is with songs and games. My awesome Sunday school teachers, who have always had a lesson prepared for us. My young mens leaders and scout masters, who have taught me how to be a man and survive in the real world. My multiple bishoprics, who helped me whenever I needed guidance. The Elders Quorum, you guys are just awesome. My friends throughout the years for being there for me whenever I was bored, needed help, gave me a shoulder to cry on, and relied on me to have a shoulder for you. And my family for putting up with me all these years. I know that many of you have had to deal with me and my active mind and overactive personality. Be glad you didn’t have to live with me. They not only lived with me, but they took care of me and helped shape me into who I am today. And that is a soon missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. And I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
Sunday, July 30, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment