Scripture of the month

And moreover, I say unto you, that salvation doth not come by the law alone; and were it not for the atonement, which, God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.

Mosiah 13:28

Thought of the Month

"Think of it! when his body was taken from the cross and hastily placed in a borrowed tomb, he, the sinless son of God, had already taken upon him not only the sins and temptations of every human soul who will repent, but all of our sickness and grief and pain of every kind. He suffered these afflictions as we suffer them, according to the flesh. He suffered them all. He did this to perfect his mercy and his ability to lift us above every earthly trial."

Howard W. Hunter
"He is Risen," Ensign, May 1988

Sunday, May 3, 2015

To the Man with the Roses

On Friday our ward Young Men and Young Women had the opportunity to go  do baptisms at the SLC Temple. It was a great day and very spiritual. As we were leaving and pulling out of the parking under the conference center Felicia noticed a young man sitting on the corner and holding a bouquet of a dozen, gorgeous, long stem red roses. He looked so nervous and expectant. Every time he heard footsteps he'd look up to see if it was whomever he was expecting. And every time it wasn't that person his face just fell.
I don't know if it was a blind date, if he was going to ask a special someone to marry him, but whatever his story was I was so touched by this sight. I hope that who he was waiting for finally showed up and that it all worked out.
Since this, I have found myself going back to this scene and pondering it, replaying it in my mind. And it occurred how much this is like Jesus and our Heavenly Father. How often do they sit there and are just waiting for me to show up, to open my heart and let them in? How their faces must fall every time I don't take the opportunity to come to them and invite them into my life
It really is so simple for me to let them in. All those simple "primary answers" are all I need to do, but yet as an adult I complicate it so much. Do I really want to leave them standing their waiting?
I know my answer, I just need to make it happen. I just need to show up and they'll be there, with open arms, so glad that I finally made it.

No comments: