Andy was able to go on his very first scout camping trip this week to the Scofield Resevoir. Unfortunatly it didn't turn out to be a very happy trip. Yesterday a freak thunderstorm moved over the resevoir. Before anyone could even move and take shelter lightening hit the camp. It struck one of the boys in Andys troop and killed him. This boys best friend was with him and was also indirectly hit. He suffered some minor burns and was taken to the hospital. Andy was there when it happened. He didn't see the actual lightening strike, but he did feel it. He was one of the kids to run and get help for these two young men. And he did see the counslers and other people performing CPR on the young man who passed away. Andy is doing ok, only time can heal a wound like this. My heart and prayers goes out to the young mans (who died) family. And, also to the young man who was injured. I do know there names, but I will not put that on here out of respect for them and their familes.
The thing that gets me the most is that Andy was video taping them and took pictures of them a day or so before this happened. So, I have video and pictures of these boys goofing off and being typical 12 year olds and then this lightening stike happened and everything changed.
Our troop had us meet up at the stake center to discuss what happened and to answer any questions that the parents might have. And, during all this everyone was still doing their duty. I don't know how to explain it, but it was just amazing for me to see our stake leaders and the troop leaders handling this just beautifully. It was just a testimony to me of how true the gospel is and how grateful I am that I am a member of this wonderful religion that teaches us that families are eternal.
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment